January 4, 2013

Merry Christmas, December 24, 2012


Hey there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!! but I´ll see you on Wednesday, so I`ll still tell you then.

This week we had our Mission Christmas Conference.  Weird.  I reserved the chapel for it.  But it was really really fun.  and the Retrospectivo turned out really good!!  Everyone liked it, especially on the part that I worked hardest on:  The Baptismal part at the end.  Mission accomplished.  Nothing like Sister King turning around and looking at me with a huge smile and winking at me when that part started.  She said that both her and President cried when they watched it for the first time.  I was just really happy I was able take a part in making it for the mission.

Also, every zone did a sketch.  Zona Republica did a comedic improv sketch about the Ammon story, and him cutting off the arms and everything.  I was one of the sheep.  It was quite funny.  Elder Inalef was Ammon, and he`s just a goof.  He really played up his argentine accent and came out saying "O, Bello pueblo, O bello pueblo!!" (with a really hard "sh") and "No se preocupen.  YO mando acá!" again, with the thick argentine accent.  Dad, I`m sure you can immitate it.  Elder Cervantes was the king, and also made it really funny.

Another cool story of the week.  We went to go to an investigators house, and we walk in, and she´s like, "There´s a DOG in my bed!!!!!!" and we´re thinking, oh no, some stray dog just waltzed in here and got in her bed.  But when we get in there, we turn on the light, hear this soft squealing, and se a huge lump under the covers and a little ball of black fur on top.  on top was a baby puppy!!  and we opened up the covers (all wet with a little blood), and there´s the family dog-- and she had 3 puppies!  Well, good thing Elder McBride, who goes home the day after christmas, had farm animals and was used to helping animals... in that situation.  So we got the little puppies latched on to their mom so they could get milk and stuff.  So then we went in the other room and shared some scriptures and talked to her about a baptismal date, and we hear some more soft puppy squealing.  So we kind of end the lesson and walk in the other room, and there´s a 4th puppy!  What?!? She literallly had a puppy while we were in the other room, and we didn`t hear anything!  Two little white puppies and two little black ones.  And apparently they´re doing well.  So that was an interesting experience.  Something not too common on a mission.

Yesterday at church it was the Christmas sacrament meeting.  I played piano for the hymns (few minutes notice, as always), but also for a special musical number-- a trio, two sopranos and an alto.  They called me Friday night about a rehearsal at 9pm on Saturday night, to be performed Sunday.  I found out at 9pm Saturday that the song was "O Noche Santa," or "O Holy Night."  They just had the choral part, so I made up the rolling piano part and rehearsed with them (basically led the rehearsal and helped with parts and breathing and stuff like that.  Mr. Little would be proud).  And when we performed on Sunday during Sacrament, it went pretty well.  It was fluid and stayed together.  But it did make me miss Brian Embree´s yearly rendition of O Holy Night.  Next year....

It really was a holy night.  It was the night that the Savior of all of Heavenly Father´s children was born.  The birth of Christ is so important due to the life that he led afterwards.  A Perfect, sinless life.  A model life. A saving death. A redeeming Resurrection.  I love this traditional Christian hymn:

"In Christ alone my hope is found
He is my light, my strength, my song
This Cornerstone, this solid ground
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm
What heights of love, what depths of peace
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease
My Comforter, my All in All
Here in the love of Christ I stand

In Christ alone, who took on flesh
Fullness of God in helpless Babe
This gift of love and righteousness
Scorned by the ones He came to save
´Til on that cross as Jesus died
The wrath of God was satisfied
For every sin on Him was laid
Here in the death of Christ I live.

There in the ground His body lay
Light of the world by darkness slain
Then bursting forth in glorious Day
Up from the grave He rose again.
And as He stands in victory
Sin´s curse has lost its grip on me
For I am His and He is mine
Bought with the precious blood of Christ

No guilt in life, no fear in death
This is the power of Christ in me
From a life´s first cry to final breath
Jesus commands my destiny
No power of hell, no scheme of man
Could ever pluck me from His hand
´Til He returns or calls me home
Here in the power of Christ I stand."


Well, that´s all I really have for today.  I can´t wait to talk on Wednesday, the 26 at 2:00pm Chilean time.  I´m so excited!!

Much love and Merry Christmas,
Elder Cole Moffat